Monday, January 28, 2008

Bitter Sweet

When Jake and I heard the news of the passing of President Gordon B Hinckley we were both in shock! I thought he was lying to me because I really couldn't believe it. I know that time here on earth ends for everyone at sometime, but I don't think that I was ready for Him to take President Hinckley. Being a recent convert to the church, President Hinckley has been the only prophet that I have known. I feel so lucky and blessed to have been a member of this church while he was the prophet. He carried with him so many qualities that we all strive for each day. He truly was a man of God and was led by revelation. He stood by this church, no questions asked. He made everything seem so simple and I hope to be like him one day. Although it is sad and hard for us down here on earth, I am sure he is rejoicing as he is back with his sweet wife Majorie. One thing that I remember and love about President Hinckley is his "wave" with his cane. I remember being at the Christmas program a few years ago at the Conference Center and President Hinckley was there. He came into the room, it was silent, and he raised his cane to say hello to the audience. It brought tears to my eyes to know that I was in the same room as the Prophet of this true church. I am grateful for all he has done for this church and all of his hard work in building temples. I know that the temple is one of the most important things on this earth and he has helped others to see that! He will be truly missed.
Amos 3:7 Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

2 comments:

Ryan and Tori said...

I know what you mean about being shocked! I got a text from some random number I didn't know and I didn't believe it 'til we got home and saw it on TV. I was SO sad I cried. He is the only prophet I've ever really known and I loved him so much. Like you said though, he's happy now. And I know President Monsen will make a wonderful prophet.

Alder Family said...

Tey, I was shocked too! I couldn't believe it, and then I couldn't stop watching the coverage on it (still can't.) I am looking forward to being able to watch his funeral.