Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Rough Week for Us!!

Well, the new year was starting off great!! A fun trip to Bear Lake, fun games, and good times with a bunch of friends but then last Thursday Walker was acting really clingy, and mostly sad. I was worried he had a cold because his nose was a little runny and he had a slight cough - although the cough at times I just thought was him choking on milk - he does that a lot!! So on Friday I decided to take him into the doctors office just so I wouldn't worry about him over the weekend. Well - Good thing I did. He had an ear infection and the starts of a pretty bad cold. My doctor told me to watch him closely over the weekend because she was worried it would turn into RSV. (oh great!!) So I got medication for his ear and decided that we would stay in for the weekend to see if he could recover quick from this. Oh boy - Sunday came he seemed worse to me. He had a deep, wet cough - I would describe it as a smokers cough. His nose was constantly runny and from 5pm Saturday until about 3pm Sunday had had only had 4 ounces of milk. I was worried he was dehiderated and his breathing was fast. On top of it all the medicine gave him diarrah. Poor guy! So I called my doctor at home on Sunday and she told me to bring him into the office and the on call doctor would check him out. At the office there were 4 patients there - walker being one of them. The other 3 were rushed up to Primarys because they had to be put on oxygen because they all had RSV. It was so sad, the patient across the hall from us was a 5 week old baby and he was crying so hard and coughing I wanted to cry. I felt really bad for the mother but realized how lucky we were that Walker was no where near that bad. Walker was crying the entire time at the doctors office and they gave him a breathing treatment and it didn't seem to work. The on call doctor thought for sure he had RSV, but was border line for needing oxygen. Luckily his oxygen levels were great!! Jake and I were still worried (being the first time parents that we are) so the doctor suggested we go to Primarys and have an RSV test done and get some IV fluids in him. We headed up there and the ER waiting room was full of children - most all on oxygen- because they had RSV. Once we got checked in they cleaned out his nose and used that for the RSV testing. While we waited for the results Walker ate 4 ounces of milk - Jake and I were so relieved that he was finally eating!! The test came back positive - so we were just told to do what we were already doing - motrin, tylenol, humidafier, blue ball suction...it is sad there isn't any medicine that you can give them that will help control the nasty cough. Monday came and I was still worried about him - he was still so fussy. I took him in again ( I know, I know) but I was so glad because my doctor is the best!! She told me what I wanted to hear - the time line of this cold, what to expect now that it was RSV, and she felt like he was on the downslope of this nasty cold. She rechecked his ears and told me that his left one had cleared up but the right one looked like it had some infection but the medicine was helping that one too. She also noticed 2 more teeth right on the surface. She reassured be that he was going to be ok and wouldn't let me leave until she knew I felt good about it. Then to top that off she called me last night to check on Walker. If anyone is looking for a great doctor for your kids Dr Ring at Wasatch Peds is the BEST.
Well, today Walker seemed better - I don't have to blue ball suction as often and he looks like he is drying up!! That is great news. He still has a nasty cough, but she told me that would last for at least another week. Needless to say I have been homebound for the last 6 days - but I am glad that Walker is doing better. Poor guy he has had diarreah, double ear infection, teething, and RSV all in one week! I just want my little happy, giggly, funny guy back!!

11 comments:

Shanna said...

Oh Tey, That sucks! I ghate when kids get sick! I remeber being the same way with Kesley this past week! We were in Arizona and I kid you not right at midnight we hear her in her room throwing up! She had this virus for 5 days straight! We just wanted her to be normal and fun again. It really makes you appreciate healthly bodies doesn't it! I hope Walker feels better soon. Oh.... poor guy, not fun at all!

Darbee said...

What a bummer, guys! I am sorry for you all, especially little Walker. Belle has been down for the count with double ear infections and pink eye, too. I totally feel your pain. Hang in there and let me know if there is anything I can do. Loves to you all...

The Shirley Family said...

Poor little Walker, it's so hard to see you little ones sick. I'm glad he is starting to feel better though. You are such a great mom Tey, Walker is lucky to have a mom like you. Hopefully we can get the kids together next week.

Lynley said...

Teylor! I am so sorry! Caroline had RSV last year and had to stay over night in the hospital. It was the most heartbreaking thing. But she definitely was better within a week-I hope the same for you guys!

heidijogoody said...

Oh you poor thing I am sure you are looking for the light at the end of this.. The girls had a similar case but no RSV but they were naughty eating and being whiney for about a week so hang in there.

Alder Family said...

Oh man...I am so sorry Tey! Rough round for Walkie Talkie. Glad to hear he is doing better! Hang in there.

Laura said...

Ah man, I feel bad for our little Walkie. Hopefully he gets better soon! We miss our play groups... we need to get together (of course when Walker is feeling better)

Justin and Jill said...

Dr. Ring is definitely popular! Glad to hear Walkie is starting to feel better. For sure a crazy start to the New Year for you. On the upside, any little cold he gets from now on won't seem bad compared to the last couple of weeks!

Jorg Family said...

Shellie is definately the best pediatrician around. We drive 4 hours just to see her! Glad he's feeling better and hope you get back to normal soon.

Ashley

The Pizza Family said...

oh no!! that's too bad! i swear everyone has been sick the christmas season!! glad he is getting better!

The Royal Family said...

Sad to hear! I am happy he is feeling better.. that's so scary!
~Brandy